Thursday, January 5, 2012

Top Albums 2011

A helluva year for music in my opinion. Decembers past I've struggled to fill out a Top 10 but not this year! No sir. An explosion of greatness that forced my hand to expand. I suppose taking the train to work really lengthened my music-appreciation time. My intentions weren't for any set number but these twenty-five were all legitimately in my ears and in my head at some point throughout this year.

  1. Kids & Explosions – Shit Computer
    Shit Computer
     hit me from the first time I heard the opener and since that time way back in January (technically a December 2010 release, shh) I still haven’t gotten enough of this album. There is so much going on that I’m sure undiscovered nuances remain. A true soundtrack for the attention-deficit disorder generation this genre-melding piece is unrelenting from start to finish, never sounding tired or derivative (despite deriving 100% of its content from other sources). If you thought you loved Girl Talk but it wasn’t quite spastic enough, check Kids & Explosions.
    PWYC Download (ie:$0 if ya want)

  2. Braids – Native Speaker
    Unlike almost anything else out there this young group goes well beyond their years to craft an album that is fresh, creative, intriguing but also wholly enjoyable. There is a slight challenge here but it is worth every effort to get into it. The effects are used at times to the point of confusion as a listener but it is this building and shifting that demands attention and deserves it. A breathy injection of fresh air into the Canadian indie scene.

  3. Library Voices – Summer of Lust
    The promise shown on Library Voices’ Hunting Ghosts and Other Collected Shorts EP was huge, and coupled with their fantastic live shows expectations were lofty for their first full-length. That was why Denim on Denim was actually a disappointment, despite the inclusion of Haunt this House. To me it had the feeling of being rushed through the production phase, as was admitted by the band. A little faith and only a year later the Summer of Lust was unleashed upon us and it was all I that had been dreamt of. Danceable beats, singable choruses, literary references, and overall catchy songs out the yahoo - it has it all. A little patience and the reward is this “pop-as-fuck” gem.

  4. Dan Mangan – Oh Fortune
    Outsiders may not have predicted that this would be the next logical step for Dan Mangan’s follow-up to his long-brooding Nice, Nice, Very Nice breakthrough but now that it’s here we all agree that it was the way to go. A much fuller, orchestral sound that swirls all around his still focal gruff vocals. It hits on many levels. The top-notch songwriting remains and is filled out by the splendid band it was written with. The power of Post-War Blues very nearly matches its incredible live intensity. And just try to listen to Rows of Houses and not be moved by that voice and the strength of the music that sweeps it along. Oh Fortune required slightly more patience than its predecessor but the dividends pay off in time with this new masterpiece.

  5. Imaginary Cities – Temporary Resident
    Another album that is difficult to put a finger on exactly what makes it so gosh darn enjoyable. The lead female vocals are unique and pleasant. The songs themselves are well-written, well-played. The album isn’t in-your-face but it definitely has some weight to it that it carries right through. As a whole there isn’t really a fault to be found and trust me, I’ve listened to it through enough times to know.

  6. Kidstreet – Fuh Yeah
    I didn’t know Kidstreet before they made their veer towards electro dance and it probably would have stayed that way. Suffice it to say that I’m very pleased this trio of siblings made this change so they could produce the X EP that led directly to this very similar debut, Fuh Yeah. (Only complaint is that they did not include the super fun Spin Twirl). It could be argued that their position on this list is unfair as I first discovered their music as an opening act, and it was only after having already been impressed by this show that I got a hold of the recorded songs. That may be true but as fun as their dance parties are there still needs to be substance to the music -that fun needs to translate to disc. Both of these things are here of course, hence why I’ve been dancing to it both in the concert hall and in my bedroom all year.

  7. Classified – Handshakes and Middle Fingers
    Class has been on a long arcing upward trajectory, not only in mainstream popularity but also in quality. Since he’s been on my radar I’ve enjoyed his work though often pulling a selection of repeatable tracks from an album whereas Handshakes strikes deftly off the top and carries this momentum through. Sure he’s had his novelties –  Canadian anthem-sampling raps, Choose-Your-Own-Adventure – but here he comes through as adamant and authentic. That Ain’t Classy is perhaps his most commercial sounding song, but the fact that it is so polished is not a knock but a compliment to his beat-making and production skills. Sampling throwbacks like the Danger Bay theme song or giving industry advice are ways for Luke to not only allow his creativity to shine but also to keep the long-player sounding fresh throughout. Kudos to Classified for this album, through and through.

  8. Wildlife – Strike Hard, Young Diamond
    I’ve admitted before that I’m all for a hook – I live for the catch. Pure catchiness wrapped up here leaning more toward pop-Wolf-Parade rather than other local earworm heros, TPC. One of the first up-and-coming Toronto bands (despite having been in the game a surprisingly long time) I dug soon after I “moved to the city” myself. Enough single-worthy tunes packed on this record to have me singing along for months.

  9. Rich Aucoin – We’re All Dying to Live
    How do you capture bouncing under a parachute with Rich Aucoin in the sweatiest dance party this side of Daft Punk? Why invite twenty-two million friends to each add a drip of energy to a pop/dance album for the ages! I don’t know all the intimate details of the production of the album but it is damn near the closest I could conceive of capturing the energy of a Rich Aucoin show on record. In fact it is better than I’d originally imagined. The multitude of tracks stream by in a fun fury and before you know it hundreds of people are chatting in your living room and you’re ready to start this thing over again from the top. Not just a one-man dance party any longer!

  10. Airplane Boys – Where’ve You Been
    Seemingly coming out of nowhere this mixtape has some inexplicable magnetism that drew me back again and again. The sample choices, perhaps obvious but done in respectable fashion, included such megastars as The Arcade Fire and Radiohead but the flow laid atop makes 'em unique. As an introduction to this Toronto-based duo I can only hope that the promise comes to fruition.
    Free Full Download!

  11. Hey Rosetta - Seeds
    It is unfair to try and stack this up against Into Your Lungs considering how much I loved that album (see Top Albums 2008). Alas 2011 seemed to be the year for ever-so-slightly lesser second contributions from bands whose previous albums I’d fallen fast for (ex from this list:RAA, Dan Mangan, Arkells, Dodos). Despite this I still really enjoyed this album and spun it a tonne trying to have it attain the Into Your Lungs levels that it could just not quite reach. Seeds is a solid tune. Yer Spring is a friggin’ fantastic song. Bandages was already stellar even before that yearn-for-the-Rock video they created. Need I mention the songwriting on Welcome? Separately or the sum of its parts, this offering still deserves its accolades.

  12. Austra – Feel It Break
    Katie Stelmanis’ voice is a national treasure. In previous incarnations it never seemed to get full exposure but here its operatic quality shines and accentuates her technical abilities. Lose It would be in the running for track of the year, but it is far from the only gem found here.

    [Not that those below weren't worthy of a written review, but my intentions were only ten before I scrolled through my library again and bumped two totally forgotten but absolutely beloved records in.]

  13. Architecture in Helsinki – Moment Bends (AUS)
  14. Rural Alberta Advantage – Departing
  15. Arkells – Michigan Left
  16. Noah23 – Fry Cook On Venus
  17. TV On The Radio – Nine Types of Light (USA)
  18. Elliott Brood – Days Into Years
  19. Dodos – No Colour (USA)
  20. Hooded Fang – Tosta Mista
  21. Les Jupes – Modern Myths
  22. The Streets – Computers and Blues (UK)
  23. Sunparlour Players – Us Little Devils
  24. Handsome Furs - Sound Kapital
  25. Bruce Peninsula – Open Flames

    *All artists Canadian unless otherwise indicated*

Discovered in 2011
Chilly Gonzales - Ivory Tower
A late discovery. I wanted to hate this album and some of its terrible and provocative lyrics from the beginning. Yet in the end I couldn't stop spinning it. Even though he put out a new album in 2011, it was this 2010 disc that I kept returning to.

Bands to Watch 2012
I don't even know what they are specifically up to, but I know that I discovered these in 2011 and hope that more and more people discover them in 2012.

Birthday Girls
Hardcore outta Ottawa with a promising EP. True to their word, the self-described influences of DFA79 and Bloc Party (two of my faves of the early oughts) can be heard.

Airplane Boys
Toronto duo with a banging mixtape (a la Drake) and huge potential for a big market. I'd say they should take off, but that'd be a bad pun.
(Follow link for free album!)

Born Gold
Probably a smart name change (from Gobble Gobble), the rumour of their live show won't be lost because of it. Couple that with infectious indie electro that you can shake to and these guys have a good thing goin.
(Follow link for free album!)

Hey Ocean!
This late-'11 album is almost too good. It's pure, polished pop that goes down smooth. You make me wanna make a new dance up!

Humans
I think this EP I found on Spotify was actually from 2010 but I couldn't get enough of it. I hope there's more to come!

You can check out my Top Albums lists dating back to 2002 on my previous Vernacular blog

No comments:

Post a Comment